Board Member Position Description
Acton Food Pantry (AFP) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization established in 1984. Our mission is to alleviate food insecurity in our area by partnering with the community to provide access to food with care, dignity, and respect. We distribute food free of charge from our facility, and via home delivery and school programs. AFP is supported largely by generous donors and grants.
Serving as an AFP board member is an opportunity to help alleviate food insecurity in our community. AFP seeks board members with management and leadership expertise to participate in the board’s oversight of the organization.
Experience in any of the following areas would further enrich our team: non-profit development/fundraising, social work, human resources, marketing, and non-profit law.
General Board Member Responsibilities
• Understand the mission of the organization
• Volunteer at the Pantry a minimum of 8 hours per year.
• Oversee operations, fundraising and resources of AFP
• Accept fiduciary responsibility of the organization and oversee its financial health and integrity
• Ensure adherence to bylaws, state, and federal laws
• Oversee updates to bylaws
• Participate in the development, evaluation, and establishment of strategies, policies, and programs that advance the mission of the organization and adhere to nonprofit best practices
• Review and approve annual budget
• Attend and actively participate in all board meetings
• Participate in fundraising
• Participate in the oversight of the executive director’s performance.
• Serve as advocate and ambassador for the organization
Board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, highperforming board members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• A commitment to and understanding of AFP’s mission and clients, preferably based on experience
• Extensive professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
• Strong skills in communication, meeting facilitation, and consensus building
• Familiarity with non-profit board responsibilities
• Experience with financial management
Service on AFP’s Board of Directors is without remuneration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more
Non-discrimination Policy: Acton Food Pantry does not, in its relations with clients, volunteers, staff members, board members, contract workers, vendors, and any other individuals or organizations, discriminate based on religion, race, creed, color, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference, pregnancy, or real or perceived handicap or disability.